Who are the Covington Turners?

 Who are the Covington Turners?

Turners Boys’ Youth Program group photo 1944

Organization committed to physical fitness for more than 160 years

By David E. Schroeder, executive director of the Kenton County Public Library

Tucked away in the Lewisburg Neighborhood of Covington, the Turner Society has been part of the fabric of the region for 175 years. The original Turner Society, or Turnvereine, was established in Germany by Frederick Ludwig Jahn in 1811. The purpose of the society was to promote members’ physical fitness and the opportunity to expand intellectual pursuits.

The German immigrants of Cincinnati established a branch of the society in their city in 1848. The group grew quickly as the number of German immigrants increased in the city. In time, the society built a large gymnasium, hall and library to serve the membership. Turner societies were established across the country wherever Germans settled in significant numbers.

The German residents of Covington initially became members of the Cincinnati society. However, in 1855, they began meeting to discuss forming a group in their city. As a result, Sept. 13, 1855, the Covington Turners were officially established. All members had to agree to oppose all laws calling for the prohibition of alcohol, not to vote for any member of the Know Nothing political party, and to oppose the institution of slavery. The group was well received in Covington and surrounding cities and quickly grew to more than 100 members before the start of the Civil War.

Within two years of their founding, the Covington Turners acquired their first hall on Pike Street. The building provided facilities for exercise and a large gathering place for social and intellectual events. The outbreak of the Civil War had a detrimental impact on the group. A sizable number of members joined the Union Army and were sent to distant battlefields. By 1864, only seven Turners remained, and the future of the society seemed in doubt. Following the war, membership again increased. In 1870, a new building was acquired for the society at the corner of Pike and Ninth streets.

Turner Hall c. 1915

In 1877, the society began planning for the construction of a permanent hall at 447 West Pike St. On May 10, 1877, the cornerstone of the new brick building was officially set into place. The new hall was dedicated Oct. 1 of that same year. This building is still being used today and contains clubrooms, a gymnasium and other facilities.

In the early years of the society, the organization was open to men only. In 1899, the first official women’s auxiliary was established in Covington. Members of the auxiliary were instrumental in the planning for the golden jubilee of the Covington Turners in 1905. At that time, membership stood at 150.

The Covington Turners were flourishing by the turn of the 20th century. The organization sponsored gymnastic training, singing societies, German language classes, political debates, rifle shooting contests and various other classes. A junior section was also established to ensure the continued existence of the group.

The World War I era proved a challenging time for the Turners. Everything German in name and appearance became suspect. German street names in Northern Kentucky were changed, German language newspapers went out of business and German language classes were dropped in area schools. The year 1915 proved to be particularly traumatic for the Turners. That year, the German language was discontinued at meetings. In July, Turner Hall was heavily damaged by a tornado. The roof of the building was lifted from the rafters and strewn across the neighborhood. In addition, all the windows were broken, and the second-floor balcony was destroyed. Work to restore the hall amounted to $3,000.

Despite these setbacks, the society financed several improvements to their facility in 1928. A new heating system was installed, the first shower facility was built, and the main gymnasium was expanded. These improvements totaled $16,194—all raised by the members.

During the 1937 flood, water reached the basement of the hall and did extensive damage to the children’s areas. The gymnasium was used to store furniture of the residents who lived nearby. The upper story was used by the Red Cross as a relief center. The women’s auxiliary initiated efforts to feed those who had to flee their homes. By the time the water had receded, the women had served over 500 meals to those in need.

The post-World War II years witnessed additional challenges and opportunities for the Covington Turners. Membership dropped as Covington residents began moving to the suburbs. On a more positive note, women were accepted as full members in 1950. This decision increased membership and provided a greater stability within the organization. In 1955, the 100th anniversary of the Covington Turners was celebrated with appropriate festivities.

Turner Hall sign in 2022

Over time, the Turners became known for their sponsorship of competitive youth basketball, softball and baseball teams. This success led to the establishment of a youth club in 1967. These and other efforts brought new life and a younger membership to the society.

Today the Turners continue to flourish in their 1877 building on Pike Street. The building’s gymnasium continues to be used for its original purpose. The Turners maintain a commitment to youth and adult sports and activities that meet the needs of the organization founded in Germany in 1811 by Frederick Ludwig Jahn.

By David E. Schroeder